Fish Habitat Establishment
Melbourne and Regional Victoria
Platypus are specialists in creating large woody fish habitat and designing and constructing pile fields, which contribute to in-stream diversity and can help with erosion control.
Naturally occurring large woody debris is vital to rivers and waterways. Our team of experts are able to assess the requirements of such lotic systems and have a meticulous approach to ensure the optimum habitat for the ecosystem.
These structures can be used to achieve the following:
- Providing cover and velocity refuge for fish
- Increasing the depth of shallow beds
- Reducing erosion by diverting flows and fortifying banks
- Creating scour where favourable
- Increasing sediment deposition and subsequently bar formation
- Providing perching sites for birds and reptiles